Sunday 13 January 2008

Company Sim - Architects' Zone

As you may be aware, for the last couple of weeks I have been beavering away - when I can - on the new company sim. Broadly speaking, one of the aims of this sim is to provide common meeting areas for our various teams, spread as they are across geographies, lines of business and, indeed, just about any other distribution factor you care to name.

For example, I am a member of the UK Enterprise Architecture (EA) team. However, the members of this team are, at the same time, members of the company technical community, the global architecture practice and, at a more granular level, their various business units. This "membership matrix" is a real challenge when trying to sustain a cohesive sense of EA community - and this is where Second Life can help us. Sure, it is not a universal panacea - but it can provide a single virtual location for the community - which is otherwise spread out across the country, and in some cases, across the globe.

So I have been working on the EA Community area - the Architects' Zone - in the last day so. I had planned to post these to Flickr - but this is playing up at the moment, so I thought I'd post to Slambling instead. As you will see from the images below, while the sim remains private, there's nothing commercially sensitive to be gleaned. However, I would be interested in any feedback. This is just the basic Architects' Zone - I have yet to furnish it with content - but then that I may leave to others to do!




I'm not much of a one for walls, while the roof only exists because I like the look of it. It is phantom, in any case, since I can't see any good reason to stop people - quite literally - dropping in!

5 comments:

Lem Skall said...

The roof looks great, I love it. The light effects are what is making it special. I would get rid of the thick pillars and keep only what looks like some cables holding the roof down. Don't you love virtual world physics?

HatHead said...

Dude, that roof is rad!

Timbo said...

@Lem and @hathead, thanks for the feedback.

Lem, I might try experimenting with the pillars. I don't want to lose them entirely - but they might benefit from slimmming down. I think the cables alone would not look quite right to me. :-)

Lee said...

A factor in SL architecture is that the ability to see a long distance contributes to the generic experience of lag. So does transparency. So does lack of walls and ceilings.

Of course, on the other hand, open spaces and transparent walls and roofs is attractive.

Find the right balance. Use walls, reduce lag.

Timbo said...

@Lee

Thanks for the reminder about lag... fair point, well made.

Looking forward to your blog properly kicking off:
http://ponzuspeaks.blogspot.com/